Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Why Barefoot & Boundless?

What's with the Blog title? The two words combined work well to describe me and where I'm at in life right now.
Barefoot:
Well, other than the fact that I love to be barefoot whether it be while driving, worshipping, or walking with sand or grass between my toes...

Bare feet have become a symbol of peace, as shoes are banned within Gandhi's memorial site, Raj Ghat. One way to commemorate Mahatma Gandhi is to walk barefoot around his monument (which I would love to do someday!). Those of you who know me know that peace (particularly in Israel-Palestine) is something I dream of and do my best to work for. I was so happy to learn that bare feet symbolize peace.
Bare feet are also a sign of mourning within the Jewish traditions; shoes are not worn by mourners during the ritual Shiva mourning period. Last year was a year of mourning for me and my family. The ways in which I am changed (and continue to be) as a result of those losses and times of mourning are difficult to define but I'm certain that those close to me can bare witness.
Boundless:
To be limitless. I have nothing holding me back right now and am available to make ambitious plans that reflect that. The plans I have in the works at the moment include time in the Middle East this summer, a couple of trips to Haiti to join relief efforts, and a bike trip across Canada in 2011!
Thanks for reading! I'm excited to have you along for the ride!
Peace,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment